Capturing a feeling




There was a few years between the ages of about five and ten, my parents rented a cottage on a shady yard at Winnipeg Beach for a week. We would take the train, an old steam engine that was sure to send a cinder into your eye if you stuck your head out the window!  It was pretty basic with electricity, cold running water (maybe by running to the tap at the corner), an ice box that kept things cool, and an outhouse that was serviced by a horse and honey wagon.  We'd walk to the white sand beach or over to the Boardwalk that had games and rides.  Relatives visited and I have wonderful memories of those summer vacations.

 I want my summer decor to reflect those sunny, happy, days at the cottage.  I recall simplicity and faded florals.

Entrance sets the theme which is summertime cottage!
 
I have made pillows.  moved pillows, rearranged pillows and finally just draped fabric over the pillows until I finally hit on a happy combo.  Phew.  Would you believe it took 2 weeks!  I can be a little OCD sometimes.  The 'also rans' have been used and dispersed elsewhere.


I do have a plan for the stairway quilt but not the time to cut into it.  It is one of those projects that needs a calm mindset to begin with.



Front room has a new table runner. It'll actually go on the dining room table which was busy at the time of the photo shoot!


The kitchen will have to rely on flowers for its summer decor.


The upstairs bathroom shower can benefit from one of the duvets from my thrift shop duvet collection.  These are a good value as the cotton is a fine quality and the duvets are folded up so one gets great lengths.



While arranging pillows in the guest room I remembered a sampler I have not finished.  I dug it out of the UFO pile and ordered a border fabric!  Yes!!!  The striped fabric is in the mail.

 The study absorbed a few of the renegade pillows.

  The quilt is under the sewing machine and an easy block to fit into odd time slots.  In fact I need to get it off the design wall as a "mystery to me' project begins Monday! 


The master bedroom is my favourite colour combo, pink and yellow!    I do have pillowcase material that is more vintage and  fabric for a 30's themed quilt.  The floral pillow fabric is from a bunch of vintage house dresses I scooped up at a thrift shop.  The quilt on the bed is one of my early quilts and serves as a place holder for the newer quilt.

 And speaking of capturing...
We are being held captive by the mosquitoes!  You would have thought with all the captivity happening I'd have quilted projects to show you.  Well, the long and the short of it is that Nina, the Bernina I specifically bought for quilting was in having bobbin case and tension adjustments.  So I was spending time watching Adrienne for Bernina Canada  and  Amanda Murphy, a US Bernina teacher, demonstrate machine quilting on free video tutorials.  A fabulous opportunity!
 
 I am sew inspired!   I have a practice panel, a couple great new books, a few rulers, and my ruler foot which hasn't even been out of its package.   I learned to free motion quilt without the Bernina Stitch Regulator (BSR)  but now I better understand how it works so I will be practicing more with it. 

I have a feeling that I am gonna find all this machine quilting very captivating! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whats done, is almost done!

There is always something...

Harvesting the Last of Summer