Harvesting the Last of Summer


Summer is sending leaves drifting down to carpet the grass.  Dustings of frost now dull the colours.  All too soon  the coverings will be deeper and whiter as the drifts reshape the landscape.

But I am getting ahead of myself.  Three cheers for the hope of a long and glorious fall!  I DO hope!

The trees are changing colour and dropping their leaves.  This is the mixed trees at the back edge of the property which has only made it a future to-do list.  Interesting though as it has spruce, pines, lilacs, carraganas and some amur maples among  others in it.

 We have been working on the poison ivy and clearing out deadfall in the woodlot at the front edge of the property.  Now doesn't that sound better than 'the bush'!

The garden has been harvested except for some of the root crops and as the soup list fills then that too will be ready for tilling.  That grape is in a low spot and shall be moved.  My Man now 'gets' that relocating plants and shrubs is part of gardening. 

 And new shelter belts shall be thinned and repositioned!  My bluff is doing well although none of the rugosa roses budded so I need to find a new source. The drainage has seen some improvements and we will hopefully make better use of the pond.

The garden boxes have been evaluated.  Some boxes worked well and some not.  I have my eye on the two black water troughs that were not performing as expected!  New boxes and layouts will be configured as soon as the green tomatoes finish turning red and all the salsa is in jars. 

 The last of the gallon paint pails have been used up and the 'village' is hoping to win a bloom award for next year! 

The Mayor's house coming along nicely.   The back alley is causing frowns so the mayor's wife  will reposition some left over stakes from another project for a picket fence.  Next year's list is beginning to take shape.  

Next years bulbs have been planted.  The white garden should be spectacular next spring! And the blue garden has been expanded with another pond.

And then there is the garden harvest!  All that and more salsa!   Maybe I should find some dance music and harvest the last of the swinging summer !


I think I am going to just have to give up my blog much as I would rather not.  I don't know if my phone has a glitch or if the internet is just crazier than usual but I have been trying for 3 days to get my photos uploaded so I can insert them into the blog.  nada! I have tried to simplify the uploading with other options besides emailing them to myself, saving and then posting.  Zilch, zip, zero.   Even on a good week it takes far too long to get service and get things lined up. The blog interface is not as easy to use anymore so I can understand why many have given up blogging. When I do get a blog all finished sometimes it won't even update and publish.  vbsigh     Hence, the white flag of surrender.

But I still need accountability so I will just have to expand my FaceBook posts.  My FB is for friends only and actually a blog is more public so I guess there is no major concerns.  I shall try for daily and hopefully briefly.   I shall be waving my creative flags on another format.   Goodness knows there is no end to my harvest of ideas!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whats done, is almost done!

There is always something...