Creative Excuses



Good, Better, Best!  I was good, but then I got gooder.  But the goodest of all... (I hope the grand kiddoes aren't checking out my grammer!) . 

Skirt and top has always been my youniform.  Since learning about dressing style I have improved although adding a third layer is still pretty much a uniform because I hate being chilly.  Joining a shop your closet 30 day challenge has upped my game because it has made me bring out those things that kinda get into the back of the closet.  And then I learned a new term.  Add the cherry on the top!  The Best!

But all this social distancing time gives time for reflection.  Since life has considerably simplified I can no longer deny attitudes/habits that have been hiding away in the back of the closet of my mind.  I can no longer use the excuse that I had to do/go ...   well you name it.  Now it is just me and my excuses.
 
 # 1    VBSIGH  I have  (where is the teeny tiny print when I need it)  gulp, an addiction problem.  I have suspected.  I have been in a non confrontational mode.
Well, my happy place is reading.  I used to have the encyclopedia Britannica in my kitchen and I always pulled out something to read when I had lunch, or coffee.  The family wouldn't put up with it so not for supper! 
Joining Kindle Unlimited for 3 month free trial was a serious mistake. Fed my reading addiction wat too easily.  a click away!!!  It is also not unlimited.  So many books out a time and selection does not include a lot I WOULD read if I had better choices. So I have been indulging on less than the best but enjoying the escapism none the less.  So I checked the expiry date. 48 hours!  I had just started a 7 book series. 18 hours of reading.  Hubby mumbled but went to bed without me on the last 12 hours.  I did it and canceled my account just in time.  Phew. 
Now I can still read but my bookcase holds books I have already enjoyed and once they are read I can slowly savour and even put them down.  I do kinda know the ending already and can pick up all the nuances.
How do I handle this particular addiction?  It is going to be joining the hour away library, limit the books, and FLEE any online unlimited accounts.  Sheesh, I had square eyes that blinked horribly!  8^[


#2  Procrastination  (see #1)
But it is really just a bad habit and so I need to set myself up for success, face my denial and make a new habit.
I used to just check out the first chapter of a new book and it was off to the races after that.  Now if I leave projects in a good place to peek I just might get hooked.  Monday mornings I need to clean up my workspaces so I am ready to go.  Fingers crossed...


#3 I was once upon a time a night person.  My energy kicked into high gear about the time my shift working husband headed off for his afternoon shift.  Kids would wake up to all kinds of changes.  Not anymore.  My energy levels aren't up to burning a candle on both ends and my eyesight dims as the day wears on. So mornings it is and sitting around kills my motivation.  Hubby is a morning person and a self starter but in winter he is prone to have a second cup of coffee and be chatty.     We need to save some conversation for that coffee break.  I need to exchange slippers for running shoes.

We women can do it all.  Multitasking is our forte!  Apparently not and especially for us more mature women.  I need to focus on one major thing and do it all day.  Not house cleaning and stuff but my hobby stuff.  I will be evaluating whether that is one focus per day or one per week. 'Cause  this scatter gun approach is so not working even setting reading binges aside.

 My landscaping genes kicked up a notch when it looked like an early spring and my hobby room will see less of me.  So did my to-do list stress amp up.  But we have a reprieve.  The landscape turned totally white and the lake was no longer visisble.  We are still digging out.
This pandemic gives us introverts especially, a time to really settle in and focus on getting things that have been relegated to dusty corners done.  The 'roundtuit' has arrived!  I don't want to waste this reprieve/opportunity.


My commitment to the grandstudents is firm.  Hopefully I can hand off the nature journals to their dad who has till the snow reveals their back yard. 


And I will be doing it stylishly.  Snow days with pj's and a good book will have to wait.  No excuses!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whats done, is almost done!

There is always something...

Harvesting the Last of Summer