sew January



January is sew garments month.  I joined a sew a long and with not too terribly much procrastinating I did accomplish a thing or three!  And the sewdio got all cleaned!

 First I determined a colour palette.  My pinks need upgrading and some additions.

 Then, of course, I had to order some fabric.  I am going to take the plunge into using knits.


I also ordered patterns for knits and read up on the 'how to' aspects.  A bit intimidating.  The vest pattern I considered required more fabric than I had.  Maybe I needed to ease into all this first.

 So I found a cotton skirt I had cut out last year.  Kinda rosey pink.  Not an whole lot of ease but my dearie has instituted morning exercises so the ease problem could solve itself.  ;^)

I couldn't resist inluding this small amount of quilting fabric in my knit order.  It does actually have a bit of blush pink in it.  I'm not really into 'cute' fabric but this just said 'happy'!  Patterns are always too long and shortening up the quick and easy vest pattern allowed me to just make it.  Lesson learned-  quick and easy is not terribly flattering on us curvy gals.    Good to know so I'll be studying the half dozen or so pattern pieces in the more fitted vest.


 The deadline for the end of the sew along approached.  I  watched lots of you tube tutorials and finally  plunged in.  Not my strong point but I double checked measurements and only needed to  altered the body length.  Remarkably it all fit and was relatively easy.  This is a soft knit and I'm not super crazy about the back but I generally layer my tops so this may be acceptable. I sew with neutral threads but the top stitching will mean enlarging the thread stash.  vbsigh  I will make the neck more open next time and this particular neckline finish isn't turning my crank so I will try an alternative.   But I am thrilled to be choosing colour and fit and style!




I have begun and found it quite fun.  Unfortunately February and March are spring cleaning month and that turns my thoughts to spring decor.   I had previously found lovely focus fabrics for each season.  Except for the focus fabric all of the 'plan' came from my stash.  My quilting compoanions were laughing at me last night as I ironed and sorted and then sat with my paper and pencil, scratching my head as I drew patterns and figured fabric requirements for the various room's projects.

I can't wait for Spring!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whats done, is almost done!

Harvesting the Last of Summer

There is always something...