Its beginning to look...

I/we really do try to contain all the hoopla that the end of the year entails.  We have a ways to go.  We dispensed with the whole tree thing many years ago.  We did end that era with a 'Snoopy tree' .  The sideways glances from the relatives were worth this grand finale! 


That said, I readily accepted a second hand tree from my neighbour.  Our new neighbourhood embraces trees and lights.  Hmmmm?   Front entrance street view?  One thing I learnt about landscaping- one landscapes from an inside view.  We luv sitting at the kitchen island looking out.  Hence the trees position.  a little windy so it will be tied and come summer it will find a permanent place in my garden where the after Christmas sales will see it decked with tiny white faerie lights.  Fah lah lah la LAH!   DD#2 asked if I want pink flamingos.  I said yes but I draw the line at palm trees!
 
 And what does all that have to do with grandkiddo #2's  staycation?  We took a break from sewing to have coffee with said neighbour and she and the male member of our holiday trio put the thing together while I readied the next sewing project.


ooops!   Good thing we didn't stay away too long.  vbsigh
 
 Eliana wanted a table cloth for her mum and a wee mat for a topper.  Done!

She joined us for lunch at the Friendship Centre.  Young people are welcome and they do add so much.  I didn't know that this gentleman who sat across from Eliana during lunch is a jack of all trades who sews, mends and if I remember right knits.  He has made quilts!  She was conscripted for cribbage and she and her Grandad came in third!


Eliana is left handed and wanted to learn crochet.  So I showed her my way and she converted it.  I think all kids should know that so many things we try need to be 'adapted' to what works for the individual.  She wanted to try knitting and I relented telling her my left handed mother sent me to a neighbour to learn and I still don't do it right.   After trying she asked how old I had been.  She will postpone knitting till she is around 12.  pssst!  I didn't tell her I learned how to make a crocheted granny square at around 25! 


Back to sewing.  To encourage creativity I let her do her own thing.  Then I heard," Tia Laura is gonna LUV this!".  Her high contrast, bright , free wheeling collaboration will suit her aesthetics but I am not sure they would actually suit her aunt's!  So I made my way over to the sewing station where she needed help to insert a 90 degree patch.  Time for a lesson on squaring up and preplanning.  We removed a cobalt blue and lime green parrot feathered fabric. Fixed a skinny seam and squared up the wavy ones.  I shared the wisdom in a nice wide frame for the outside edges.  She embraced the improvements and admitted she liked it better!   phew! She tried it out for size on the dolls and is rather pleased with her project.  She sews with a 1/4 inch quilting foot but for the 'improvements'  I  had switched her to a 1/4 inch foot with a guide and who knew that would make such a difference.  I must use it myself!

Her younger sister has a longer attention span so we changed the front room decor to a more winter appropriate one and then got out another winter activity- puzzles.  She left me with it to attack crocheting!

 The gifts are all wrapped and ready for the big day!

I found a little note after she left and I would have to agree.  I had a fun time!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whats done, is almost done!

There is always something...

Harvesting the Last of Summer