Hooking up for the season

Well, if the last post was a somewhat relaxing retreat, then this one is readying for the race.

Educational Art 101 we finished up our four seasons of a tree.  Same tree and same owl but different seasons!

And we are entering our busy season.  Youngest grandchild, Jolina (7) stayed for a week of seasonal projects.


We worked on a project for each one on her list.  Simple mug rugs which I should have cut bigger as they are more like coasters.  We can improve the prototype next year.  My novelty fabric stash gave each recipient a personalized 'rug'!

Then we were off to Compassionate Quilters whose project was squares for touch quilts.

Next day we were off for lunch at the Friendship Centre where she impressed all the seniors with her finger knitting skills.  This is like spool knitting but makes a flat 4 stitch rather than the 4 stitch rope.  Still makes a hot pad when sewn together!  So we work on regular crochet in our 'spare' time. ha, ha!  And that is challenging because she says she doesn't get it!  VBSigh  My mother knit and sent me to the neighbours to learn as she was left handed.  But I am beginning to think it was  just less frustrating to get someone else to teach the skill.  Many years later I discovered that the crochet my paternal grandmother did could be done with wool.  Doilies didn't appeal and looked time consuming.  But three pages of notes from a friend and I was set to make granny squares for afghans.  Crocheted granny squares lasted till I discovered quilting!


Seems we neglected a prezzie for the furry crowd.  The backpack directions were poor but it all worked out in the end.

Then we were scheduled to bring snack for the All Thumbs Quilt group Thursday evening.  We had a project to sew on that required simple piecing for hot pads.

We used an old pink towel for the padding and I thought they turned out pretty well.

Then we added one sweet surprise for one of my first and faithful blog follower.  ;^)  Like the mug rugs I also neglected to get a photo.
 
The crochet mat may never make it into the bag with all the wrapped and ready presents but  we are calling her week of prep and projects a well run race!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whats done, is almost done!

There is always something...

Harvesting the Last of Summer