Garden 8/23/19


This could be the grand finale for the green month!


A traveling salesman arrived with an aerial photo of the property.  I didn't think we were ready for that and definitely not in the large framed size. But my Farmer couldn't resist.  He at least declined the frame.  lol


A trip to the National Ukrainian festival in Dauphin was inspiring.  A side trip to the town yielded the nicest garden/park beside the train station.
 
 I took lots of photos and I am determined to replicate it.  Mature trees is key so I will have to use the existing bush that is on the east corner. 






The front terrace  gets lots of compliments.  We are actually 1 brick short but buying another pallet is not an option.  The bed for the 3 globe cedars needs settling for next spring's planting.  Maya needs to be persuaded to move her 'couch'!



The wishing well is still a work in progress.  We fish frogs out of it on a regular basis.  But it has also become apparent that driving over the water line is not the best idea so the wire fence for my 'cottage' on the southwest end of the back yard needed reconfiguring.



This is the yellow area of my colour wheel scheme so moving the fence to the northern end may work better because it could be yellow leaved shrubs on the shady end and my Ukrainian yellow flower can go on the southern end.  Then that solution made me eye up the leftover pavers for a small walkway/courtyard.  I got the grand kiddies busy carrying pavers and repositioning my length of wire fence!  I will pop a few fence posts among the shrubs and top them with bird houses!  YES!!!


We will plug a hole on the northwest side with 3 native cedars.  Maya better keep those deer away.
The side garden is coming along splendidly.

 We did get a shrub order and I was very pleased with the quality of them and felt the 2 hour drive to get them and the 2 hour drive back home was worth the trip!

 The leaking tap over winter doomed the high bush cranberry so I replaced it with a Medora Juniper and thought the replacement cranberry was better situated near the deck.  An Aronia and a cotoneaster were added to the outside boundary.


I decided on a double flowering plum for the space between the bedroom windows.  This is a pastel area and the day lily, Joan Senior which turned out to be yellow was moved there and was joined by two  Gentle Shepherds .  Wanda's Peony struggled up to the light and I was thrilled to see it.


My Gardener got 3 cherry shrubs and a grape.  The grape's position is still being negotiated.


The east vegetable garden is disappointing and will be filled in.  We have a plan for a shelter belt to dissect the front and back in that area.  The last minute decision to place along the driveway has proved invaluable.  The salad bar will see some improvements and additions.

The pond cleaning continues as the fill that was surrounding it is dispersed to other areas.  It is a pleasant spot and will get our full attention sometime in the future.  I see a small dock, a few fish, and some waterlilies

Lots of work to do!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whats done, is almost done!

There is always something...

Harvesting the Last of Summer