Quick Creative Quilting!



I have returned to quilting with an whole new fresh start. And a few deadlines!

Spring melt is fast approaching and I am excited to get back to the landscape plan so I need to get some quilting projects all finished up. Both quilt clubs are inactive during the summer.  Any home sewing in summer is likely to be for the household (curtains) or for me.

I brought home homework from the charity quilting because in our exuberance to use 120 blocks we miscalculated how much rose sashing we had.  The plan was to alternate the orientation of the blocks but with adding a burgundy sashing to one side the effect was disturbing.  I took them home to think and spread them all out. I also realized that all the blocks should have been shuffled to spread out all the colour variations.  vbsigh!  The least amount of unsewing resulted in a baby quilt sashed with rose which I neglected to photograph.



The wrong orientation blocks became a strippy with brown calico sashing between the vertical strips.   Wish we'd found the roll of 3" wide fabric before we started as there is miles of that!


The original plan worked very well with the brown sashing.  The blocks were sewn together at the hall and to make it bigger I added a lovely rose brown border.


The two coloured sashing is organized for sewing at the next club day.  So much sewing so little time!



I have been surprised at how beneficial to my own quilting these donated blocks and fabrics have been.  It really stretches ones creativity to work with such disparate blocks and a limited stash.


For the weekly evening club I have abandoned my hand applique projects in favour of my 'laundry' project.  The fabric kit reminds me of old wash days.  The big blocks are completed and will be boxed up for fall but all those scraps intrigue me.  Some are too small so I thought I'd just add a strip all around.  options???  I found an whole lot of yellow dotted strips from who knows where.  But this will keep me busy on Thursday night.


And fast approaching is the All Thumbs Quilt Show.  I have a wee bit more binding to do on the yellow scrap quilt and I am hoping to get the black and white  quilt machine quilted.  I need a fast creative quilting plan!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whats done, is almost done!

August- Finally Finishing

Harvesting the Last of Summer