Quilting Creatively


I spent the better part of 2 days bringing my old quilting album up to date.  My old blog was tremendous help in sequencing them.  Some I can't even remember making and if I do I am not sure where they all went.  I know for sure one quilt doesn't even have a photo and was a commission and is long gone. :/

But  I am full of relief that it is done as well as it can be and I am aspiring to do better with a new album for a new season in my creative quilting journey.

Upon arrival I was quickly informed of two quilt groups.  They are active from the end of the gardening season until the beginning of the new gardening season.  I, unfortunately, have not been active and I determined to rectify that sad state of affairs.  The sorting of my stash shamed me.  The rolled up medleys of future dream quilts jolted me awake.  The tubs of half finished commitments sadly hold projects almost done!


But I am inspired.  The first meeting I attended of All Thumbs Quilters was welcoming and friendly.  They had just started off their year with a big weekend retreat which I had decided to forgo.   They meet every Thursday night from 4:30 to as late as 9:00 in a parish hall with a kitchen and great table space. Calories abound. The hours catch those leaving work in town who are too far from home to drive back and accommodates those racing home from working further away!  So a goodly amount of time to set up and stitch away with participants coming and going.  I began with my very old applique blocks and I have impressed myself with how much I get done in spite of all the cancelations for storm warnings and blizzards..


I haven't taken a class in years but joined in for a bag making class in the big city.  It has an awful lot of pieces but again, I impressed myself!


Another group that meets during the day to work on charity quilts is Compassionate Quilters.  They meet 3 times a month during the day. They accept donations of anything quilt related and then turn them into tops that are backed with flannel and put on a frame where they are tied with pearl cotton, colour coordinated, of course.  I had never done that before and it is a slick process.  But usually Mini and I are busy being creative with the donated blocks.  Most are sashed and joined into the various sizes for beds.  It is amazing to me how beautiful they turn out given the diversity of fabrics, colours and patterns although sometimes it takes a lot of creativity to bring out that beauty.


Then just this last Mondayduring spring break for the teachers, we had a one day mini retreat.  9:00 am - 9:00 pm.   A goodly chunk of time.  I grabbed a tub with a lingering project and had such a productive day.  I would have got the last dozen blocks completed if I hadn't stopped to play around with the leftover scraps.  It was creative fun!

And now my quilt brain is firing on all cylinders and I am raring and ready to get creatively sewing!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Whats done, is almost done!

Harvesting the Last of Summer

There is always something...